Thursday, April 14, 2011

Acupuncture, How I started

I recieved my nursing degree as an LPN in 1984. I worked in alot of different fields of nursing like OB,Med Surg,and Rehab. But I found that the one field more condusive to family life was working in a Dr.s office. I did just that when we lived in Durango. I was very much into the Western Medicine mind set. My husband was working with the Forest Service at the time, and was doing alot of trail work involving the packing and leading of horses into the wilderness. He had what is known as Tennis elbow. A Hyperextension of the elbow which can cause alot of pain and discomfort with any movement. After several cortisone injections and several prescriptions of antiinflammatories, which totally screwed up his stomach, he not getting any better decided that he had had enough. He decided he was going to try something different. He said he was going to try acupuncture. Of course I told him he was crazy. How could you let someone put needles in you! I was appaled. But after seeing the results after only 3 treatments his elbow pain was gone. The added bonus was how relaxed and calm he felt after each treatment and how it seemed to last. Well after a fall from a flight of stairs several months before, and physical therapy, chiropractic work and living on tylenol, I could not get rid of my neck & shoulder pain and horrible headaches, he convinced me to give it a try. I am terrified of needles. As a child the school nurses would chase me to give me immunizations. My dad laughed when he knew I was going to be a nurse, because of my fear of needles. I was terrified the first time I got needled. I couldn't believe how great I felt and after only a few treatments my pain and headaches had all but disappered. But best of all I could actually feel myself able to relax. I didn't know that was possible. I was sold, I knew I had to do something different. When we moved back to the San Luis Valley I went back to Adams State and thought I would continue with my education and become a physcologist as I'd always wanted to. But in the back of my mind I thought I needed to do something in healing arts. I thought about Massage and made several inquiries but they all fell through, so I just continued nursing. One day a friend I knew stopped by the hospital where I worked, he used to work there and was all excited about his acupuncture school in Santa Fe. I loved hearing him talk about all the wonderful things he was leaning and asked if he'd send me some info. He sent me info and an application. I was sure I wouldn't be excepted since my college credits but were so old, When I went in for the Interview, I was told they'd have to review all my transcripts and see if I qualified. I was extatic when I was excepted. The angels of synchronicity worked in my favor and opened every possible door for me to attend Southwest Acupuncture College in Santa Fe New Mexico. I graduated in July 2003 and started my own practice in Alamosa, Co. in Feb.2004 Where I still practice and love it. Thanks for reading my Blog. And Blessings to All

No comments: